PRESS STATEMENT BY MCA YOUTH SPOKESPERSON – RYAN HO KWOK XHENG
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 23rd MAY 2019
Preserve our green lung, stop the development of Taman Rimba Kiara
What’s going on with Taman Rimba Kiara? Will it go ahead or will it be cancelled for the rakyat's interest? We call upon YB Khalid Samad in both his capacity as Federal Territory (FT) Minister and Chairman of Yayasan Wilayah Persekutuan (“YWP”) to answer the following:
1. On 18 May 2019, YWP CEO said that the FT Ministry will bring a new proposal to the cabinet for decision whereby the GDV of the proposed development will be reduced to RM1.5 billion for 1,082 units of condominiums.
2. YWP CEO further claimed that this scaled down development would not encroach into Taman Rimba Kiara but we noted that the development would take up a whopping 8 acres of land.
3. However, YB Hannah Yeoh said that the longhouse footprint is roughly only 1 acre of land – where did YWP CEO find the extra 7 acres if it does not encroach into the park?
4. It was widely reported that this new proposal would be brought to Cabinet for a decision but where are the Traffic Impact Assessment report and the Environmental Impact Assessment report which are mandatory to be conducted beforehand? How is the Cabinet supposed to decide without these reports?
5. Why is YB Khalid Samad so adamant on pushing for this development when the rakyat is clearly against it? Previously when it was supposed to be a RM3 billion development he claimed that compensation is RM150 million, so what about the compensation amount now? We are still waiting on where you pluck that figure from.
6. Also, take immediate steps to discharge yourself as the Chairman of YWP, failing which, resign as FT Minister as it seems you cherish the needs of the corporations more than the rakyat's wellbeing.
7. YB Khalid Samad, instead of putting forth the new proposal, how about just putting a stop to this blatant robbery of the rakyat’s green lung and instead fight in cabinet for local government elections to be called – A move that will truly benefit the people and not corporations. Once again, stop this development from proceeding further!
RYAN HO KWOK XHENG
MCA YOUTH SPOKESPERSON