19 October 2017
Press statement by MCA Publicity Spokesman (English/Bahasa Malaysia) cum Religious Harmony Bureau Chairman Dato’ Sri Ti Lian Ker
DAP Penang Govt upholds the “right” of Shahul to spew divisiveness & hatred! What is DAP's stand on Talibanese speeches now?
1. MCA is appalled at the gutless, spineless and cowardice of Cit hief Minister Lim Guan Eng in hiding behind his Exco Dato’ Abdul Malik Kassim’s statement protecting Shahul Hamid's Talibanese speech of preaching a divide between Muslims vs non-Muslims on hairdressing, schooling, greetings etc by saying that “this is okay” and it is Shahul's right but then allowed his "Special Information Officer" Wan Ji Wan Hussin to attack MCA for questioning the Penang Exco's stand (Free Malaysia Today, 18 Oct 2017). Wan Ji tried to justify the Penang Government stand by saying that the Penang DAP government is seeking a "friendly" approach to Shahul's Talibanese preaching of hatred and divisiveness in our muliti-racial society. This is in contravention to the call by the Conference of Rulers that these Talibanese preachings of hatred and divisiveness in Malaysia must stop.
2. It is heartening to note that DAP Secretary General who is now the Chief Minister of Penang is singing a different tune and dancing a different step from DAP's stand and politics all these years. DAP and Lim Kit Siang had in the past decades been quick at highlighting the slightest provocation on race and religion and calling on MCA to take a confrontational stand. DAP would and will pit the Chinese community against all Muslim or Malay centric speeches by blaming it on UMNO and blaming or pitting MCA against the Malays and Muslims. There was never any words of "tolerance" or "being friendly" said by DAP to acknowledge MCA's predicament of having to respect the reality that this is a multiracial country where Malays and Muslims form the population’s majority.
3. MCA is happy that today Lim Guan Eng and DAP have embraced MCA's "friendly" approach but these words should come from DAP or the Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng and not by his subordinate that reflects a double talk and lack of seriousness of what has been said by his lower rung non-party officials.
4. MCA however would like to remind Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng and DAP in particular not to hide behind his Exco member or his Information Officer as they are not speaking on behalf of DAP. Is DAP now subscribing and agreeing to Wan Ji's friendly approach to "Talibanese speeches" and Penang Exco Abdul Malik's recognition of Shahul's right to Talibanese preaching that have been frowned upon and reprimanded by the Conference of Rulers!
5. MCA does not accept DAP and Lim Guan Eng's double talk or cowardice of hiding behind these two non-DAP members or leaders. As DAP has always insisted that the MCA President must make his stand known on all sensitive issues despite MCA having made several statements, it is time that Lim Kit Siang or Lim Guan Eng make their decisions to the world - to accept and respect Talibanese speeches by Sharul as his right and freedom. Stop hiding like a coward. Stop the double talk through your two subordinates.
Dato’ Sri Ti Lian Ker
MCA Publicity Spokesman (English / Bahasa Malaysia)
MCA Religious Harmony Bureau Chairman